You are made up of cells! And the food you eat every day is as well!
Today we are going to demonstrate this to you! It is not that difficult, you just need few things and the magic is done!
- A microscope (in our case the 3D Cell Explorer)
- Plastic tube
- PBS or water
- Diluted acid
- Microscopy slides and coverslips
- Food (onion, banana and/or yogurt)
Procedure for preparing onion root tip squashes:
Even if you don’t like onions (we don’t) you can still use them in the name of science!
- Cut a thin piece of root tip and put it into a plastic tube with a small amount of acid. (Caution: Work with the HCl carefully, if you are under 18 ask for the help of an adult!)
- Warm the tube in hot water for ten minutes.
- Using forceps, carefully transfer the root tip to a microscopy slide, wash it with PBS or water and cover it with the coverslip.
Now you are ready to see your experiment results. Enjoy your Onion cells 😉
Procedure for preparing banana cells:
- With a toothpick, take a small amount of banana pulp and spread it over the microscopy slide.
- Add some PBS or water drops and cover it with the coverslip.
Your banana cells are ready to be observed!
Procedure for preparing yogurt’s bacteria cells:
- With a toothpick, take a small amount of yogurt and spread it over the microscopy slide.
- Add some PBS/water drops and cover it with the coverslip.
Everything is ready now. It is time to explore the hidden life inside your food!